Friday, December 03, 2004

Houston's Burning!

While on the phone with my mother around 5:40 PM, I heard a loud bang and my glass windows shook. I thought nothing of it -- spontaneous thunder is commonplace in Houston. Then I saw live coverage of a chemical plant explosion on the local news and soon realized that what I felt was the tremor from this massive explosion over 10 miles away. 10 million pounds of wax are currently burning out of control over several acres in southwest Houston. Homes shook over 60 miles away. My brand new condo is located between Rice and the blast site, so in a few minutes I am driving over there to make sure no windows are broken, no walls have collapsed, no floors have cracked, etc. What a wild night! And the "underwear on the outside of your pants" party hasn't even started yet! This is shaping up to be an interesting one, folks. I hope your nights have been interesting as well.

I'm really tired of writing about politics. It gets really old hearing about more cabinet resignations, new prisoner abuse photos that pre-date the Abu Ghraid ones, and other crap of this nature. However, a quote on World News Tonight with Peter Jennings is just too good to leave out of today's entry: "Why can't the greatest military in the world protect a 4.5 mile roadway?"~ Senior U.S. official in reference to Airport Road in Baghdad, which is arguably the most dangerous stretch of highway in the world due to car bombings, improvised explosive devices, and American military failure. What a world we live in...

Music of the Moment: "Here I Am" by The Explosion (oh how appropriate)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home