Thursday, June 15, 2006

Food For Thought (So You Don't Get Shot)

When I described my recent class experience viewing images of guns, bullets, rifles, and shot-up brains (while munching on carrots), I somehow forgot to report one of the most sobering statistics I have ever heard. Since everyone who reads this journal has spent significant time in the great city of Houston and still stays up past midnight, you will find this information particularly useful -- and disturbing. Without further ado, I present to you the results of an HPD investigation regarding Houston drivers on Saturday nights:

At 2:00 AM on any given Saturday night in Houston, 50% of automobiles have a legally intoxicated passenger or driver onboard. Similarly, 50% of automobiles out driving at this hour have a handgun onboard. Performing some simple math, we can conclude that 1 in 4 vehicles on a Saturday night in Houston contain a drunk with a gun! Moral of the story: do NOT harrass an aggressive or erratic driver by flashing your headlights, flipping the bird, or any other such provocation. Otherwise, your brain might end up on a med school slide show while some jackass munches away on carrot sticks like he's channel surfing. Hmm, kinda reminds me of the Shakespeare quote: "Imperious Caesar, dead and turn'd to clay, Might stop a hole to keep the wind away."

JLo: Irkutsk. Evening departure to Ulan Ude, with partial overnight aboard train.

Music of the Moment: "At Your Funeral" by Pinhead Gunpowder

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home