Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I Passed

I went into my lengthy exam today feeling about 75% recovered from my viral illness. 9 stations and 2 hours later, I emerged triumphant and relieved. I passed all 9 stations, and received mainly positive feedback from all of the standardized patients. The worst criticism wasn't even that bad -- I was asked at one of the stations if I was nervous. I replied in the affirmative, and the lady snapped back "Well it showed. Just relax a little bit and try to slow down." I began to settle into the routine after that station and my nerves pretty much melted away. However, the entire experience was mentally and physically draining. I am now actually feeling a slight relapse of my illness; I can't get any work done and I'm on the verge of climbing into bed. A good night's sleep will be awesome, as tomorrow afternoon I have my last preceptor visit. That means more sweltering in the 90+ degree heat in long pants, long sleeves, a tie, and a heavy white coat. I don't mind the weather, but it's a bit oppressive in conjunction with the stiff dress code of the medical profession. I'm beginning to understand why one of our whacky neurology professors wears shorts to work every day...

I missed the evening news tonight, but one of the funniest things I read all day involves the conservative author Ann Coulter. In her new book (Godless: The Church of Liberalism), Coulter fires off a string of insults about a group of four 9/11 widows who were instrumental in spearheading the formation of the 9/11 Commission to investigate the government's failures surrounding that tragic day. In addition to referring to the women as "witches," Coulter also states that "I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much." Ouch. Naturally, the women are claiming they have been slandered and Hillary Clinton has issued a scathing response to Coulter's lunacy. I think good 'ole Ann has demonstrated (once again) how malicious and cold-hearted the conservative right can be. Can't wait to see what Jon Stewart has to say about all this... He, by the way, has been rocking since his show returned from a 2-week vacation.

JLo: Tonight the train pulls in. Transfer to accommodation. Following the trail of the Romanovs, it was here that Tsar Nicholas II and his family were executed in 1918. Breakfast, then a city tour takes in the new monastery that marks the murder site and Ganina Yama, a beautiful, rural monastic complex built where the family’s remains where dumped and later found. On to the Europe/Asia border marker, where you can stand with a foot on either side of the boundary marker! Rest of the day free. Supper and overnight (2) - homestay.

Music of the Moment: "I Like It" by the Dixie Chicks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home