DGI, JLo, and S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G
As the hour creeps closer to midnight, I realize that I must keep this post brief in order to salvage one more night of short sleep prior to the commencement of the weekend. There are 3 topics I want to hit tonight. Here they are, without further ado:
1. DGI
During my freshman year at Jones College, my buddies and I could frequently be found at the stained and torn pool table, relentlessly attempting to pocket all the stripes/solids without inadvertently sinking the cue or the 8-ball. On many of those occasions, we were often presented with a particular kind of shot that left us in a dilemma (we were all taking physics at the time, so our knowledge of the necessary angles for sinking a shot was rather accurate). The shot to which I am referring usually occurred along the side pockets in the middle of the table: the angle was ever-so-slightly too steep and thus made the side pocket unattainable, yet ever-so-close that it always made for a very tempting option nonetheless. IndyDave was adamant that he could successfully convert this shot. The rest of us were skeptical -- so much so that we coined the term "dog gone impossible" to describe these shots. Since that was a mouthful, we quickly shortened the phrase to DGI. "Dude, that is totally a DGI shot."
Why am I dragging up this old memory? Well, this is important background in order to understand what happened to me in class this morning. We were in the midst of a 2-hour lecture on sexually transmitted diseases, and a case came up that was particularly gruesome: a form of gonorrhea that escapes the genitals and spreads throughout the entire body, infecting the joints, the skin, etc. What is the name of this illness? DGI: disseminated gonococcal infection. I almost couldn't contain my laughter!
2. JLo
Jordana is currently airborne en route to Frankfurt, which serves as her gateway to St. Petersburg, Moscow, and the Trans-Siberian Railroad! I am fortunate enough to have a copy of her daily itinerary, so I can track her location and activities throughout the month-long trip. For your enjoyment, I am starting a new blog section called the "Jordana Locator," or JLo for short. Because her location changes each day, hopefully this will provide the necessary encouragement to update my blog on a daily basis throughout her trip.
June 2nd: St Petersburg. Welcome to St Petersburg! Arrival transfer from St. Petersburg Pulkovo Airport to our hotel. Buzzing with cafés, bars and restaurants, St. Pete’s is renowned for it’s fine Baltika beer and unashamedly good vodka. Perhaps get your trip off to a celebratory start! Overnight - St. Petersburg.
3. U-R-S-P-R-A-C-H-E
The winning word from tonight's nationally televised Scripp's spelling bee. I tuned in for the third year in a row to see these amazing kids rock my face off with their encyclopedic (or dictionaripedic) knowledge. This year, I think I could actually spell a handful of the words correctly. Maybe my "medical foreign language" (as our professors like to call it) is paying off. What an utterly useless life skill!
Music of the Moment: "Restaurant" by Stereo 360 (excellent indie band -- their album used to be free for download on their website... maybe it still is)
1. DGI
During my freshman year at Jones College, my buddies and I could frequently be found at the stained and torn pool table, relentlessly attempting to pocket all the stripes/solids without inadvertently sinking the cue or the 8-ball. On many of those occasions, we were often presented with a particular kind of shot that left us in a dilemma (we were all taking physics at the time, so our knowledge of the necessary angles for sinking a shot was rather accurate). The shot to which I am referring usually occurred along the side pockets in the middle of the table: the angle was ever-so-slightly too steep and thus made the side pocket unattainable, yet ever-so-close that it always made for a very tempting option nonetheless. IndyDave was adamant that he could successfully convert this shot. The rest of us were skeptical -- so much so that we coined the term "dog gone impossible" to describe these shots. Since that was a mouthful, we quickly shortened the phrase to DGI. "Dude, that is totally a DGI shot."
Why am I dragging up this old memory? Well, this is important background in order to understand what happened to me in class this morning. We were in the midst of a 2-hour lecture on sexually transmitted diseases, and a case came up that was particularly gruesome: a form of gonorrhea that escapes the genitals and spreads throughout the entire body, infecting the joints, the skin, etc. What is the name of this illness? DGI: disseminated gonococcal infection. I almost couldn't contain my laughter!
2. JLo
Jordana is currently airborne en route to Frankfurt, which serves as her gateway to St. Petersburg, Moscow, and the Trans-Siberian Railroad! I am fortunate enough to have a copy of her daily itinerary, so I can track her location and activities throughout the month-long trip. For your enjoyment, I am starting a new blog section called the "Jordana Locator," or JLo for short. Because her location changes each day, hopefully this will provide the necessary encouragement to update my blog on a daily basis throughout her trip.
June 2nd: St Petersburg. Welcome to St Petersburg! Arrival transfer from St. Petersburg Pulkovo Airport to our hotel. Buzzing with cafés, bars and restaurants, St. Pete’s is renowned for it’s fine Baltika beer and unashamedly good vodka. Perhaps get your trip off to a celebratory start! Overnight - St. Petersburg.
3. U-R-S-P-R-A-C-H-E
The winning word from tonight's nationally televised Scripp's spelling bee. I tuned in for the third year in a row to see these amazing kids rock my face off with their encyclopedic (or dictionaripedic) knowledge. This year, I think I could actually spell a handful of the words correctly. Maybe my "medical foreign language" (as our professors like to call it) is paying off. What an utterly useless life skill!
Music of the Moment: "Restaurant" by Stereo 360 (excellent indie band -- their album used to be free for download on their website... maybe it still is)

1 Comments:
Man it's great to have you back!! I've been cracking up all the way through this entry... from "DGI" to "rock my face off"--this is good stuff!
Post a Comment
<< Home