Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Brothers and Babies

Not much going on today. It just dawned on me this afternoon that I have a 265-page packet consistenting of 24 case studies that I'm supposed to read in preparation for next Friday's exam in neurology. Seeing as how I hadn't turned past the cover yet, I set myself up on a strict schedule of a minimum of 2+ uninterrupted hours of case study reading each day. I'm happy to report that I got through 115 pages tonight (10 cases). At this rate, I can finish before Saturday, thereby keeping my weekend free to study with the intensity of Ritalin-popping prep school loser before the SATs!

I spoke with my brother for the first time in several months this afternoon. He's in the final week of a 6-week rotation at a suburban New Jersey community hospital. New Jersey's legislature must be a very paranoid bunch with severe trust issues. Not only do they have a law requiring full service only at all gas stations, but they also require two MD's to be scrubbed in during all Caesarian sections. This is a simple, 45-minute procedure that clearly does not require the valuable time of 2 doctors. Their solution? Get a first-year resident (like my brother) to scrub in on every C-section along with the attending physician. Accordingly, my bro has done about 85 C-sections in the past 6 weeks. He even delivered his first set of triplets last week! He estimates that in his first year as an MD, he's performed upwards of 150 C-sections. He posted a new personal best this afternoon, completing a C-section in 28 minutes. Can't wait until I get to work this hard... :(

JLo: Today's itinerary came with a seasonal variation. I'm guessing that the lake is not currently frozen, though how cool would that be? Summer -- trekking on Circum-Baikal route and picnic. Winter -- frozen lake walking & lunch. Return to Listvyanka. Siberian banya (sauna), supper, & overnight -- homestay.

Music of the Moment: "Joyce Carol Is A Boring Old Bitty" by the Lawrence Arms

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home