Monday, June 12, 2006

Let's Go To Omaha

I spent a very enjoyable afternoon watching the nail-biting but ultimately exhilirating Rice baseball game. I had a crapload of work to do, and I'm going to be paying for this Monday afternoon off all week long. However, I will tentatively say that it was worth it. Rice was playing an elimination game versus Oklahoma; whoever won would be heading to Omaha for the College World Series. Rice trailed 2-0 in the first inning, but quickly tied the score on a homerun. The lead then oscillated back and forth as the teams exchanged 1-run leads for the middle innings. In the bottom of the 6th, Rice trailed 4-3 before embarking on a 2-out rally, capped by Joe Savery's 3-run homer that gave Rice a commanding 8-4 lead. The final score was 9-5, and now Rice is heading to Omaha! As a side note, I clearly saw Liz Fritts when the camera panned over the crowd...

Aside from Savery's dramatic homerun, the highlight of the game was when the Oklahoma head coach got ejected for arguing a call and kicking dirt onto home plate. Initially, only an assistant coach was ejected. As the head coach continued to argue, he was unaware that he had also been ejected. When it finally dawned on him, he EXPLODED and ran at the head umpire. He was frickin' livid, and had to be restrained by the other umpires. All the while, the Rice fans were cheering like crazy and egging on the situation. I was immediately taken back to one of my fondest Rice baseball moments... Rice was in the field and had just been victimized by a terrible call. The Owl's fiesty coach, the very old-fashioned Wayne Graham, popped out of the dugout and furiously engaged the umpire in a heated protest. The Rice student section was electric as we leapt to our feet and yelled our encouragement to Graham. With the umpire unmoved by Graham's words, Graham did the unthinkable: he called his team off the field in protest. As the Rice players ran toward the dugout, us fans were nearly pissing ourselves with glee! That was one of my happiest moments at Rice...

I had a great lecture this morning at school. The topic was brain trauma, which of course included grotesque images from the Ben Taub Emergency Center, including a brain with a bullet through it. You must realize that at this point, I am totally numb and immune to blood and guts -- they don't make me queasy in the least. In fact, I routinely munch on my carrot sticks while the images splash up on the big screen. Anyway, today's lecture included a section on handguns. We were educated about the common types of pistols carried by Houston gang bangers, the different calibers of bullets, etc. As the images of pistols, bullets, semi-automatic weapons, and shotguns came up, I found myself feeling queasy. There was no blood and no guts, but staring at those guns made me feel like I was back in the first day of anatomy lab. I guess my visceral response proves that I am a liberal even at my very autonomic core! Sweet!

JLo: I didn't update yesterday because nothing has changed -- she's still on the train! However, she is now arriving in Irkutsk and will go on to Listvyanka village. Offering striking views of Lake Baikal, Listvyanka is our [the travel agency's] base. Enjoy lunch, a guided shorewalk, and visit to the Lake musem. Siberian banya (sauna), supper, and overnight -- homestay.

Music of the Moment: "Summerland" by Everclear

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home