An Inconvenient Sellout
I was very psyched about seeing the Al Gore global warming movie tonight. We made sure to make it through our Auntie Chang's dinner by 7:45 so we could make the 8:00 showtime. We found a parking spot at the very crowded West Gray shopping district and approached the small crowd that was gathered outside the theater. There were two tables set up on the sidewalk where you could sign a postcard to petition Texas governor Rick Perry to do more about global warming. I signed one as Kevin politely engaged the lady working the table:
Lady: (to Kevin, Kraig, and Laura) "Does anyone else want to fill out a postcard to send to Governor Perry?"
Kevin: "No, thanks. I actually don't believe in global warming."
Lady: (taken aback) "Really? Then what's your explanation for why we didn't have a winter this year? Do you know that people packed ice around their flowers to keep them from blooming too early? How do you explain the hurricane season last year? The Gulf has been warmer than ever before."
At this point, I finished my postcard quickly and told the lady, "Don't worry, I'll work on him," gesturing to Kevin. Kevin later admitted that he enjoyed messing with the lady, and I'll admit right now that it was hilarious!
Unfortunately, the movie was sold out. As we were considering our back-up options for the evening, Kraig was approached by a lady from the Communist Party. She was holding the Daily Worker newspaper, which was splashed with violent photos of Iraq carnage. She pushed the paper in Kraig's face and asked him what he thought about all the violence in the world today. He glanced at the pictures and politely (snidely?) remarked something to the effect of, "Yeah, it's pretty crazy!" She countered, "You know what's crazy -- our leaders letting all of this happen!" It was at that point that we retreated from the hordes of middle aged women who had way too much passion and free time on a Saturday night.
Oh yeah, the two people in front of us in the box office line had arrived at the theater by bike and were standing in line with their bikes. Could this scene have been planned any better?
We decided on bowling at U of H and promptly pounded out 3 games in under 2 hours, paying a grand total of $5 a piece that included shoes and all of our games. Kevin spanked me twice, but I got him pretty good on the remaining game. Now my entire left forearm hurts from heaving the rock down the lane so many times in such a short period of time... The funniest moment of the evening BY FAR was at the end of the second bowling round. I finished the tenth frame with a spare, so I was awarded an extra shot. I knocked down 8 pins, and headed back towards my chair. Kevin jumped up and grabbed a ball to begin his final frame, just as I realized that my 2 pins had not yet been cleared. It was still my turn! However, Kevin was approaching the top of the lane and was beginning his wind up. I could not allow this travesty to occur -- those were my pins and we were in the midst of a heated game! I jumped up and called out "Wait!" The ghetto rap music blaring during the cosmic bowling was so loud that my command went unheaded, so I lunged forward and tapped Kevin on the back just before he released the ball. He successfully withheld his shot, but not before loudly YELPING in fright and surprise at the unexpected hand on his back. I became hysterical, and for the next several rounds Kraig and I took turns yelping out loud before each of Kevin's shots. It was classic!
Rice baseball is one win away from heading to Omaha for the College World Series. They are hosting Oklahoma in a best-of-three super regional at Reckling Park. Kraig and I had the game on for all of 2 minutes during the first inning. In that time frame, we witnessed back-to-back Rice homeruns! Rice went on to win 10-4. With Texas already departed from postseason play, could this be another championship year for the Owls? Stay tuned...
JLo: I realized that I forgot the JLo from yesterday, so you'll get a double whammy tonight. The itinerary is listed below, with parentheses added by me.
Yesterday: Peschanoe Lake & Koptelovo village. Outdoor action! (not sure if I like the sound of "outdoor action") Supper and overnight -- homestay.
Today: Very early morning (3:30 AM!) transfer to rail station. Board train from Yekaterinburg to Irkutsk. (The next 3 days and 2 nights will be spent on the train. This means no showers, no change of clothes, etc. However, Irkutsk is on Lake Baikal, the largest freshwater body in the world [nevermind that it's polluted]. Irkutsk is also very near the Mongolian border -- so cool!)
Music of the Moment: "This Might Be Satire" by Propagandhi
Lady: (to Kevin, Kraig, and Laura) "Does anyone else want to fill out a postcard to send to Governor Perry?"
Kevin: "No, thanks. I actually don't believe in global warming."
Lady: (taken aback) "Really? Then what's your explanation for why we didn't have a winter this year? Do you know that people packed ice around their flowers to keep them from blooming too early? How do you explain the hurricane season last year? The Gulf has been warmer than ever before."
At this point, I finished my postcard quickly and told the lady, "Don't worry, I'll work on him," gesturing to Kevin. Kevin later admitted that he enjoyed messing with the lady, and I'll admit right now that it was hilarious!
Unfortunately, the movie was sold out. As we were considering our back-up options for the evening, Kraig was approached by a lady from the Communist Party. She was holding the Daily Worker newspaper, which was splashed with violent photos of Iraq carnage. She pushed the paper in Kraig's face and asked him what he thought about all the violence in the world today. He glanced at the pictures and politely (snidely?) remarked something to the effect of, "Yeah, it's pretty crazy!" She countered, "You know what's crazy -- our leaders letting all of this happen!" It was at that point that we retreated from the hordes of middle aged women who had way too much passion and free time on a Saturday night.
Oh yeah, the two people in front of us in the box office line had arrived at the theater by bike and were standing in line with their bikes. Could this scene have been planned any better?
We decided on bowling at U of H and promptly pounded out 3 games in under 2 hours, paying a grand total of $5 a piece that included shoes and all of our games. Kevin spanked me twice, but I got him pretty good on the remaining game. Now my entire left forearm hurts from heaving the rock down the lane so many times in such a short period of time... The funniest moment of the evening BY FAR was at the end of the second bowling round. I finished the tenth frame with a spare, so I was awarded an extra shot. I knocked down 8 pins, and headed back towards my chair. Kevin jumped up and grabbed a ball to begin his final frame, just as I realized that my 2 pins had not yet been cleared. It was still my turn! However, Kevin was approaching the top of the lane and was beginning his wind up. I could not allow this travesty to occur -- those were my pins and we were in the midst of a heated game! I jumped up and called out "Wait!" The ghetto rap music blaring during the cosmic bowling was so loud that my command went unheaded, so I lunged forward and tapped Kevin on the back just before he released the ball. He successfully withheld his shot, but not before loudly YELPING in fright and surprise at the unexpected hand on his back. I became hysterical, and for the next several rounds Kraig and I took turns yelping out loud before each of Kevin's shots. It was classic!
Rice baseball is one win away from heading to Omaha for the College World Series. They are hosting Oklahoma in a best-of-three super regional at Reckling Park. Kraig and I had the game on for all of 2 minutes during the first inning. In that time frame, we witnessed back-to-back Rice homeruns! Rice went on to win 10-4. With Texas already departed from postseason play, could this be another championship year for the Owls? Stay tuned...
JLo: I realized that I forgot the JLo from yesterday, so you'll get a double whammy tonight. The itinerary is listed below, with parentheses added by me.
Yesterday: Peschanoe Lake & Koptelovo village. Outdoor action! (not sure if I like the sound of "outdoor action") Supper and overnight -- homestay.
Today: Very early morning (3:30 AM!) transfer to rail station. Board train from Yekaterinburg to Irkutsk. (The next 3 days and 2 nights will be spent on the train. This means no showers, no change of clothes, etc. However, Irkutsk is on Lake Baikal, the largest freshwater body in the world [nevermind that it's polluted]. Irkutsk is also very near the Mongolian border -- so cool!)
Music of the Moment: "This Might Be Satire" by Propagandhi

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home