Thursday, June 23, 2005

POW Paradise (?)

I wasn't going to write a journal tonight due to my inebriation and the work I had to finish tonight for tomorrow's meeting with the undergraduates at the lab. However, while checking the news one last time before bed, I came across a quotation from Dick Cheney that made my blood boil even more than usual. It seems that every time that evil man opens his mouth, he says something with that conniving contortion of his lips that conveys his utter detachment from reality. Tonight, while being interviewed by CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Cheney referred to the Guantanamo prisoners as if they were enjoying a carefree life in a Caribbean paradise. I quote directly, though you may not believe it when you read it: "They're living in the tropics. They're well fed. They've got everything they could possibly want," the vice president said. At a detention facility referred to multiple times (by multiple, non-partisan international organizations) as "the gulag of our times," and "resembling a Soviet or Nazi-style prison," our vice president claims that the POWs (not detainees -- fuck all that Double Speak) have everything they could possibly want. I guess these animals don't ever want to be treated with dignity. They don't want to be able to freely practice their religion. They don't want to be free from American hegemony. They don't want bombs to stop falling upon their families. Most of all, they definitely don't want to leave their tropical island paradise. Freedom? Who wants it! These POWs are BLISSFULLY HAPPY AT GITMO! You heard it here first...

Work was slow again today, but I had an AWESOME dinner with Kraig, Kevin, Laura, and Liz at Auntie Chang's Dumpling House. We all left feeling completely stuffed, but somehow found room for a few beers and a 1.5 liter bottle of wine. Hence the inebriation to which I referred earlier. Warped Tour in less than 2 days. Hot.

Music of the Moment: "Margaritaville" in honor of Dick Cheney's island paradise detainees

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home