Monday, June 13, 2005

My First Loan

Not quite as sexy as losing my first baby tooth... it's my first med school loan! The subsidized Federal Stafford Loan has now been officially applied for (having been granted on May 31). Fortunately, the "subsidized" part means that the federal government will pay the interest that accrues while I'm still in school, so that I only begin paying interest 6 months post graduation. As you can tell, I'm nearly giddy with all the excitement. Being in debt is so much cooler than it's chalked up to be. You get to dabble in stupendous reading material, like 9 pages of size 5 font on the Master Promissory Note. Come on, what could be more kickin' than that? You also get to receive another bill each month, only this one comes every month for 10 years and demands way more than does the telephone company! Score.

I (and 5 friends) ditched work from 1-3 this afternoon and headed over to Two Rows, Houston's best sports bar, to catch the final 5 innings of the Rice baseball game. Facing elimination in the final game of a 3-game series versus national #1 team Tulane, the Owls proceeded to take the lead on a homerun, lose the lead badly, tie the score in the 8th inning, and then lose the lead badly and for good in the 9th. Oh well, at least I missed 2 hours of work.

I've felt groggy and wicked tired all night long -- probably because I stayed up way too late last night. I'll attempt to make it to bed before midnight tonight. Here's hoping...

Music of the Moment (to celebrate debt!): "Commitment" by Lucky Boys Confusion

2 Comments:

Blogger Gareth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Gareth said...

You went back to work after a sports bar!? You are hardcore... :-)

I have to say I could really go for a Village Club right now...I haven't found anything here that compares.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home