Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sore Back, Sore Knees, Huge Desk

This morning I completed assembly of my new desk from Office Depot. I spent 3 days on the assembly, spending most of my time figuring out creative ways to lift and assemble heavy pieces that said in the instructions: "have someone help you with this step." Being that I am living alone, a phrase like that translated into: "think of a way to lift this massive set of shelves on to the top of the desk surface. Good luck trying to align all the screws with the proper holes." Now that the desk is complete -- and taking up the center of my living room -- I am able to admire it's beauty and wonderful craftsmanship. A desk is important for a post-graduate student, since many an hour will be spent there sitting and studying. Seeing this beauty makes my back ache less and my carpet-burned knees feel soothed. Life is good...

I went to work this afternoon to avoid having to do more chores around the condo. However, I've been working too much and I finished all the work that I can do at the moment. With the holiday on Monday, I probably won't be doing much before returning home to Philly on Wednesday. I guess circumstance forces me to spend more time cleaning up and unpacking, but maybe I'll "procrastinate" later tonight by renting a movie. I've wanted to see "Baseketball" and "Napoleon Dynamite" for awhile. For now, I'm going to finish reading Fast Food Nation. This is a fascinating book, but it's not what I expected. I thought it would be along the lines of the movie "Supersize Me" -- focused on the health issues surrounding fast food. While E. coli certainly gets mentioned, the book is more of a full-on evaluation of the entire culture of fast food: the potato farms, the immigrant employees at the slaughterhouses, the globalization of American fast food culture, a history of fast food, etc. I highly recommend this book; it is very well written, entertaining, and eye opening. Do yourself a favor while you've got some spare time this summer...

Music of the Moment: "Tell Tale Heart" by New Found Glory (still reveling in the memories of their awesome concert!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home