Hilarious
I had such a funny experience today at Office Depot that I just have to share. I went to purchase a desk during the final day of their office furniture sale. They have all of the disassembled furniture in some sort of warehouse room in the back of the store. When you want to purchase something, you bring a ticket up to the register and the teller pages one of the guys in the back room to bring the furniture forward. The service in the back room was exceptionally slow today, perhaps due to the sluggishness of the workers brought on by the record temperatures (96 degrees) today. As I was waiting at the front of the store, the woman at the register started to make aimless conversation with me. She had a colorful and shiny rotating globe on her countertop, about the size of a bowling ball, just like the kind you use in elementary school geography. I think it was a topographical (rather than political) map of the world. However, all countries were labeled along with their capital cities. She starts talking about how nice her globe is and remarks aloud, "I wonder if Iraq is on this map? Probably not." From where I was standing, I could see the Middle East. I remarked that yes, indeed, Iraq was on the globe. She had begun to spin the globe in the opposite direction (so that Iraq was getting even farther from her). I reached out and pointed out the Arabian peninsula and put my finger on Baghdad. She kind of shrugged and then told me that she has "a homie" who is stationed in Iraq right now. He sometimes calls her at 3:00 AM central time, when he has just finished his shift in the desert. I feigned amusement, and to attempt to keep the conversation alive, I asked if she knew what the time difference was between Houston and Iraq. She was much more confident now, informing me that it was way ahead of us. In fact, "Iraq is like 28 hours ahead of us or somethin'." Bush says there is no child left behind -- do you believe him?
Music of the Moment: "Don't Make Me Ill" by AFI
Music of the Moment: "Don't Make Me Ill" by AFI

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home