Friday, May 20, 2005

New Found Weekend

I attended that infamous "first wedding of people I know" on Monday night. Ryan Bergauer and Aubrey Ferguson tied the knot at West University Baptist Church, and held their reception at the Cohen House (Rice U.). It was a nice wedding, although way too religious for me. The pastor seemed to preach doom and gloom, and warned them of the prevalence of divorce on more than one occasion. I thought weddings were about happiness and commitment to each other, but apparently in the south, you have to give fair mention to the exhorbitantly high divorce rate (www.fuckthesouth.com). The reception was dry; i.e. there was no alcohol. Thus, we left before 11:00 PM and felt a little too sober to maximize our enjoyment at Cohen House. However, we made sure to pre-party beforehand with a liter and a half of wine split among 4 people. It definitely did the trick!

I spent the week pretending to clean up the condo, sleeping late, and working half days at the lab. Last night, Jordana and I took in one of the best concerts I've ever had the privilege of attending: New Found Glory. They rocked for a full hour and a half before a packed house at Numbers, and the environment was certainly not friendly. The place was sweltering (probably 85-90 degrees) and a security guard took up permanent duty as "the water hose guy," constantly spraying the crowd to prevent fainting (and the law suits that inevitably follow). It was so hot that Jordan, the lead singer of NFG, frequently skipped lines within each verse in order to catch his breath -- reminded me of when I had histo. However, the band was bursting with energy and totally wore the crowd out. An hour into the set, I stopped jumping, stopped tapping my feet, and pretty much zoned out and enjoyed the music. However, the band only continued to build steam, and Jordan soon began to sing all the words without having to rest at all. The band seemed to feed off the heat and turn it into maximum punk rock and roll. The set list contained more than 20 songs, and I left a very satisfied customer. For a bunch of elderly punks, they sure did kick ass. I think the funniest part was when one of the roadies paraded a small girl, perhaps age 4, across the stage on her shoulders during the set. What kid do you know that can say, "When I was 4, I watched Daddy play in New Found Glory?"

Jordana left for Washington, D.C. today, which opens new horizons for her but makes the condo feel considerably empty with just me around... You know what this means: anyone still in Houston needs to come over for a party! Call me, people.

Tonight I went out to a pub in The Village with some of the younger members of my lab group. We shared laughter, nerdy science jokes, legitimate scientific discussion, and $4.50 Guinnesses (on tap) for about an hour and a half, and then I came home and pretended to wash the dishes. Instead, I wrote this entry and now I'm going to wash the dishes.

Music of the Moment: "Battled" by AFI

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home