Thursday, June 16, 2005

Twisted Sister

Remember them? They are the infamous band that penned the instant classic "We're Not Gonna Take It" (with a 10 minute music video). I'm going through an 80s Hair Metal revival phase. By "revival phase," I mean that I've listened to about 3 hair metal songs this week. However, for those of you who know my musical tastes, this is highly unusual. Currently, I'm head banging to "I Want To Rock," also by Twisted Sister. If you're an Atlanta Braves fan, this is the song that was always played as closing pitcher John Rocker made his walk from the bullpen to the mound in the late 90s and early 00s. However, the best pitcher/song combination clearly has to be the "Wild Thing" introduction for the 1993 World Series Phillies closer, Mitch "The Whild Thing" Williams. Those were the days. Mitch is currently a farmer/rancher here in Texas, a long way from those "glory days" when he gave up the series ending walk-off home run to Toronto's Joe Carter back in '93. Wow, this journal is becoming a trip down memory lane.

Like a masterful author at the zenith of his craft, I will now entwine my nostalgia with the title of today's post: I found an interesting version of "Leader of the Pack" covered by Twisted Sister. The first music I ever listened to was 1950s and 60s rock on cassette, which I borrowed from my Dad. Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, and Del Shannon were my heros. There were also a handful of female-fronted bands that I enjoyed, although they all had indistinguishable names like "The Diamonds," "The Shonelles," "The Rondelles," "The Fondelles," "The Sha-Na-Nas," etc. (note: I pulled these names out of my ass). A lot of these groups sang about classic 50s high school stuff, a la Grease: boyfriends, motorcycles, love, and Da Doo Run Run. One such song was called "Leader of the Pack," about a girl falling in love with the leader of a high school motorcycle crew ("gang" would carry the wrong connotations here). She meets him in a candy store, wears his varsity jacket, 50s shit like that. But then the tone of the song changes, and the lyrics describe a stormy night and a motorcycle crash (complete with crappy sound effects of a motorcycle crashing). The girl pines away about how she knows her boyfriend has been killed in the crash, and the song fades away to the cheery backing vocals singing "Leader of the pack, and now he's gone." Anyway, Twisted Sister has covered the song in 80s hair metal style, and has reversed the gender roles such that the song is about a guy falling in love with a female Leader of the Pack. It's great -- I encourage the reader to check out both versions of the song.

Music of the Moment: Twisted Sister

1 Comments:

Blogger Gareth said...

I remember one of my friends doing the arm-swing move from the "We're Not Gonna Take It" video in the doorway of a Denny's and almost decking a guy who was walking in. Ever since that's the only thing that comes to mind when I hear "Twisted Sister."

I should look for their music--there's a part of me that likes 80s metal, especially covers. I've been listening to a little of it on Internet Radio at work, and it's pretty good stuff. Thanks for advice!

BTW sorry for not posting...look for something tomorrow, i've been busy.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home