Damn Crohn's
I just found out today that the twin sister of a post-doc in our lab was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I always hate to hear about new sufferers of this disease. However, I am glad to be able to serve as a living resource regarding foods to avoid, treatments that have worked well, and pitfalls to watch out for. I guess the little bit of advice that I gave today was the first glimpse of what it will be like to meet with a patient from the MD side of the desk. I really felt like I could talk about this disease with authority and conviction, since I have learned about it through living with it (and not just through a textbook). I could tell that my observations were taken very seriously because of their absolute first-hand nature. The feeling that I got knowing that perhaps I was helping ease the pain and anxiety of a fellow Crohn's patient was terrific and confirmed for me that medicine is my calling. I hope I can continue to be a good resource for my good friend and her sister.
I played some more tennis this evening before Kevin left for the airport to pick up Laura, who'll be in town for the next few days searching for a place to live. I'll have to keep sending them hints about how nice it is to live at Briar Green!
The critical, $100,000 piece of (broken) machinery that our lab so utterly depends upon received a breath of hope today, as a specialist was flown in from Atlanta by the servicing company. When I arrive in the morning, I will know whether or not they were able to fix the machine. Please cross your fingers for me -- I really need this machine to be operational!
That's all for tonight; I'm trying to turn in a little earlier than usual. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that my 14 hours of daylight today were all awesome! I will sorely miss the 26 seconds of daylight tomorrow, and with each passing day I will morn the loss of that brilliant ball of fire that so consistently signals the arrival of summertime and all its pleasures.
Music of the Moment: "Sparky's Dream" by Teenage Fanclub
I played some more tennis this evening before Kevin left for the airport to pick up Laura, who'll be in town for the next few days searching for a place to live. I'll have to keep sending them hints about how nice it is to live at Briar Green!
The critical, $100,000 piece of (broken) machinery that our lab so utterly depends upon received a breath of hope today, as a specialist was flown in from Atlanta by the servicing company. When I arrive in the morning, I will know whether or not they were able to fix the machine. Please cross your fingers for me -- I really need this machine to be operational!
That's all for tonight; I'm trying to turn in a little earlier than usual. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that my 14 hours of daylight today were all awesome! I will sorely miss the 26 seconds of daylight tomorrow, and with each passing day I will morn the loss of that brilliant ball of fire that so consistently signals the arrival of summertime and all its pleasures.
Music of the Moment: "Sparky's Dream" by Teenage Fanclub

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home