Happy Belated New Year
Five days into the new year, it seems that my New Year's resolution is off to a shaky start. I vowed to keep in better touch with my friends (like all of my loyal readers), yet this online journal has seen better days (i.e. more frequent updates). In the spirit of making excuses, I will blame our insanely slow dial-up internet for my disinterest in signing on and updating. We're supposed to get DSL today, but the activation webpage still advises me to wait before installing the software. Verizon is known to be shitty when it comes to customer service, and it seems that our relationship is off to a bad start. Crappola on them!
Jordana has returned from Prague and is now back in our wonderful yet stingy country! She flew into Philadelphia last Tuesday and didn't leave my side until yesterday evening. Since her visit last winter break was marred by my ill health, we had a lot of sight-seeing to catch up on. We spent an afternoon at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, which was way better than I had remembered from the school field trip days. We also visited both of my grandparents, which is always quite an exercise in pleasantries, communication skills, and exasperation. Our New Year's Eve was quiet: we attended a small party and left shortly after midnight. The highlight of her visit was our journey to the Eagles' game on Sunday. She gave me the awesome Xmas gift of two tickets to the final game of the regular season, versus the Cincinnati Bengals. Had this been mid-season, we would have witnessed total destruction by our beloved Birds. Unfortunately, the coach rested all of our starters for the entire game in order to have them healthy for the playoffs. Our second and third stringers were manhandled by the Bengals, 38-10. We still had an amazing time sitting in section 239 with the drunks. Cold rain fell for most of the game, but our seats had an overhanging roof that kept us completely dry. What a sweet Christmas gift! After the game, we drove to the Jersey shore for a day at my grandfather's Ocean City condo. I love walking around on the boardwalk in the dead of winter, picturing what the beach must look like at the height of the summer season. There's something eerie yet fascinating about a deserted little town in the offseason.
Soon I'll be heading back to Rice for my final semester. I'm spending my final days going through my collection of tapes and CDs at home, attempting to decide what is good to put on my new iPod. I'm glued to any and all news about the horrific tsunami disaster in South Asia and I'm criticizing our government as much as ever for a slow response and stingy aid offering. It's understandable, though: W was on vacation in Crawford and only a few Americans were in trouble. We only flip out when 3,000 Americans are killed. 150,000 dead Asians mean a whole lot less in the land of freedom, opportunity, and equality. OK, I'm not going to get started any more than I have. See everyone at Rice in a few days.
Music of the Moment: "All Because of You" by U2
Jordana has returned from Prague and is now back in our wonderful yet stingy country! She flew into Philadelphia last Tuesday and didn't leave my side until yesterday evening. Since her visit last winter break was marred by my ill health, we had a lot of sight-seeing to catch up on. We spent an afternoon at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, which was way better than I had remembered from the school field trip days. We also visited both of my grandparents, which is always quite an exercise in pleasantries, communication skills, and exasperation. Our New Year's Eve was quiet: we attended a small party and left shortly after midnight. The highlight of her visit was our journey to the Eagles' game on Sunday. She gave me the awesome Xmas gift of two tickets to the final game of the regular season, versus the Cincinnati Bengals. Had this been mid-season, we would have witnessed total destruction by our beloved Birds. Unfortunately, the coach rested all of our starters for the entire game in order to have them healthy for the playoffs. Our second and third stringers were manhandled by the Bengals, 38-10. We still had an amazing time sitting in section 239 with the drunks. Cold rain fell for most of the game, but our seats had an overhanging roof that kept us completely dry. What a sweet Christmas gift! After the game, we drove to the Jersey shore for a day at my grandfather's Ocean City condo. I love walking around on the boardwalk in the dead of winter, picturing what the beach must look like at the height of the summer season. There's something eerie yet fascinating about a deserted little town in the offseason.
Soon I'll be heading back to Rice for my final semester. I'm spending my final days going through my collection of tapes and CDs at home, attempting to decide what is good to put on my new iPod. I'm glued to any and all news about the horrific tsunami disaster in South Asia and I'm criticizing our government as much as ever for a slow response and stingy aid offering. It's understandable, though: W was on vacation in Crawford and only a few Americans were in trouble. We only flip out when 3,000 Americans are killed. 150,000 dead Asians mean a whole lot less in the land of freedom, opportunity, and equality. OK, I'm not going to get started any more than I have. See everyone at Rice in a few days.
Music of the Moment: "All Because of You" by U2

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home