Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Author turned home owner?

Four days just wasn't long enough to enjoy my parents' company. I've now seen them for a total of seven days since March, and spending fall break with them reminded me how much I love them and their presence. One of the purposes of their visit was to help me in my condominium search. To receive the huge Baylor College of Medicine tuition break awarded to in-state Texas residents, I am going to purchase a condo to satisfy one of the requirements of state citizenship. We all assumed we'd just be looking this weekend, but low and behold we have entered a bid on a gorgeous one-bedroom unit with tiled floors, washer and dryer, and fireplace located two blocks from the light rail! We've signed a bidding contract and now we're just awaiting notification from the seller. I'm going to be a home owner! Scary thought, eh? Perhaps scarier, I'm going to be a resident of Texas. *Shudder*

I attended a pre-debate debate tonight, sponsored by the Rice Young Democrats and the College Republicans. The leaders of both groups sparred for an hour on a full range of issues and we (the Dems) definitely dominated. I wanted to slap the Republicans in the face for denying the existence of global warming. While ignorant losers like them believe that science has not yet "proven" global warming and insist further study is required, the Earth is careening toward the edge of a very steep and perilous climatic cliff. I attended a two-hour Presidential Lecture Series talk last semester given by the former chair of the Rice Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Department, Dr. Ronald Sass. Do you know what he spoke about? The OVERWHELMING evidence for severe global warming! He says we are beyond the point of discussing whether or not global warming is a real phenomenon. It most certainly is. We are now at the point of determining how severe it is and how to combat it. Ignorance angers me, because for every smart person who is ignorant of important issues, there are dozens of less educated people who are even more ignorant. Ignorance breeds further ignorance. As I have written in previous entries, let us return intelligence to the White House. Unless of course you subscribe to the Orwellian prophesy that "ignorance is bliss."

Kerry rocked again tonight, but he didn't punch enough below the belt when he had the opportunities. Nice guys finish last in politics, and Kerry needs to engage in enhanced smear tactics. There is so much potential when you have such an arrogant ass as your opponent, and it's a waste not to take advantage of that.

My room looks as it did on move-in day, with boxes strewn all over the bed and futon due to a sopping wet carpet. My carpet was smelly and moldy, and was deep-cleaned about 13 hours ago. While I was told it would dry in 5 hours, I'm preparing to sleep on the futon because even a dehumidifier running on high for 12 hours has not been able to sufficiently dry the carpet. Rather than destroy my dozen cardboard boxes full of books and various dorm room necessities, I'm going to sleep on the futon and let the carpet dry for another 8 hours. At times like these, I take solace in knowing that soon I'll have a condo. A little refugia of my own in a crazy world...

Oh yeah, you know all this money being thrown at Homeland Security? Do you know where it's going? The TSA (Transportation Security Administration) recently held an awards ceremony at a lavish hotel in which it spent over $500,000 dollars. The organization spent $81,000 on plaques for "superior" employees and $500 on cheese sculptures. Awards were given to 543 workers, including a "lifetime achievement award." The TSA is a whopping 2 years old, mind you.

Music of the Moment: my dehumidifier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home