Friday, October 01, 2004

Letting the margaritas talk

Having just downed 2 margaritas over at the incredibly lame Margaritaville party sponsored by Brown College ("Brown is shit, shit is Brown"), I'm now in the proper mind-set to compose a profound entry. Speaking of drinking, I heard a funny joke today. You know all those jokes that begin with, "A guy walks into a bar...?" Well, this one-liner goes as follows: "A dyslexic walks into a bra..." Hardy har har har.

Mount St. Helens erupted today. It's interesting how a single isolated terrorist attack on the United States three years ago prompted a multi-pronged war that has already claimed over 1,000 American lives and countless (10,000+) Iraqi civilian lives, while natural disaster victims on American soil -- such as those devastated by 4 consecutive hurricanes in Florida -- must wait in lines over a half mile long to get clean water. It really shows you what's important to the Bush administration. Unfortunately, Florida has no oil so it's never going to be a priority. Perhaps if any National Guard reservists were available for homeland deployment, Floridians would not be waiting in Depression Era-esque lines for basic necessities.

Spain legalized gay marriage today, despite the overwhelming Roman Catholicism influence on its citizens (90% of Spaniards are Roman Catholic). At least some countries in the world are making social progress, rather than reverting to Soviet-style scare tactics and repression of civil rights to control the pissed-off masses. I've recently been thinking about the unprecedented level of American political dissent, and I've concluded that if Bush is re-elected there will be mass rioting in major cities across the nation. I'm worried because I would be extremely tempted to join such a riot, and I don't want to get jailed under the fascist dictums of the Patriot Act. Yet another reason to vote for John Kerry: keep Ryan from getting arrested on the night before he's supposed to fly to Prague!

It's late, my popcorn ran out, and I'm tired. Time to bring this post to a close. Today I gave a second consecutive hour-long presentation to my Statistics class, covering genomes and molecular biology techniques. I present again next Friday on protein lysate arrays. I went to the Rice Symphony concert, and the music from West Side Story was very entertaining. Tomorrow I'm making a Target run. Let me know if you need anything.

Music of the Moment: "1985" by Bowling for Soup

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

Due to the inappropriate nature of the comments previously appearing here, I have tastefully removed them. Haha, just kidding. The comments were posted for the wrong entry, so I deleted them to avoid confusion. The comment may be viewed in full under the previous post.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home