Conspiracy theorists are my best friends
I just returned from the Secular Students of Rice meeting, and it was incredibly amusing. The topic, "Religion and the War on Terror," quickly deteriorated into a 75-minute Bush bashing festival! Three older members of the Atheists of Houston attended our meeting, as did three girls who I think were members of Campus Crusade for Chirst. One of the Houston atheists was a flamingly homosexual African American with a large afro and dangly silver earrings. He was incredibly nice and contributed insightfully to our discussion. I'm proud that our organization is accepting of such people, because I found myself thinking that this guy must take a whole boatload of shit due to his lifestyle and appearance, especially as a Texas resident. He was a friendly, respectful, and intelligent person, so what does his sexual orientation have to do with anything? I think America would be much better off with more people like him. Anyway, I digress. The highlights of the meeting included the Christian girls walking out in the middle of the discussion -- I hope they realize how it feels to be an unpopular minority and to have ideologies with which you do not agree forced down your throat. By far the best part of the meeting was listening to the frantic raving of one the guys from the Houston Atheists. Spouting names such as Noam Chomsky and Machiavelli (the guy is amazingly well read), he proceeded to claim that the Bush administration was directly responsible for coordinating the 9/11 terrorist attacks in order to capitalize on scare tactics to expand their fundamentalist Christian empire. Perhaps most intriguing was his theory on the (first) Gulf War. He claims that Saddam Hussein had seismic listening devices positioned along the Iraqi border with Kuwait, and he only invaded because he detected vibrational evidence under the earth to suggest that American-backed Kuwaiti oil conglomerates were engaging in "horizontal drilling" practices to clandestinely tap into the Iraqi oil supply from the safety of Kuwait. Seems nuts, but entirely possible at the same time!
OK, that's enough blogging for tonight. Don't expect such extensive posts in the future, as you'll soon be disappointed.
P.S. There's no spell-checking device on this journal, so I apologize for mispellings. I'm not exactly treating these posts as term papers.
Music of the Moment: "Blingity Bling" by Suburban Legends
OK, that's enough blogging for tonight. Don't expect such extensive posts in the future, as you'll soon be disappointed.
P.S. There's no spell-checking device on this journal, so I apologize for mispellings. I'm not exactly treating these posts as term papers.
Music of the Moment: "Blingity Bling" by Suburban Legends

1 Comments:
Welcome to the world of blogging, Ryan. Its certainly one of my favorite ways to procrastinate. :)
There is a spell-checker, by the way....
Post a Comment
<< Home