Thursday, September 30, 2004

Wrong War, Wrong Time, Wrong Place

You may be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater.

Wow. Anyone who still believes that John Kerry is going to bow quietly out of this presidential race needs to come to terms with reality. George W. Bush suffered a resounding defeat in tonight's debate. We all knew he'd stumble on words, change thoughts mid-sentence, and talk Texan tough, but I don't think anyone would have predicted the nervous stammering, puzzled and angry looks, and pure personification of helplessness as he struggled to prevent a complete self-destruction. Welcome to reality, Georgie. Some candidates actually back up their statements with intelligent explanations and facts. While the right wing might feel relieved to know that you "are confident in your heart of hearts" that your decisions are correct, the rest of us prefer reason and reality to psychic interpretation. Despite the media's focus on Kerry's longwindedness, I'm proud to note that George Bush violated the red "stop" light no less than four times, while Kerry did not break the debate rules even once. I think my favorite moment was watching Bush's frantic blinking and crinkled brow as he delivered his memorized closing statement. One of my friends said, "All that blinking is really annoying," to which I responded, "He can't help it -- he's thinking really hard." I can't wait for the next 2 debates. Hope is on the way, America!

I attempted to play a drinking game during the debate (take one drink each time Bush stammered over a word or stopped mid-sentence to begin his phrase anew). After two beers, I rapidly realized that I'd be completely trashed if I followed through on this game. I resorted to yelling at the TV instead.

In other news, I was stunned to see that Merck is removing Vioxx from the market due to concerns that it increases risk of heart attack and stroke. This pain medication, used mainly to relieve the agony of arthritis, is/was a staple for orthopedists. I took Celebrex (Pfizer's version of Vioxx) for a while to relieve my own arthritic hips, and it worked like a miracle (my pain was eased after ingesting the very first pill). My heart goes out to those who relied upon Vioxx for pain relief, and I hope that Merck is not destroyed by the impending surge of class-action lawsuits.

OK, this post is way too long and I have Chinese homework to finish. Thanks for reading and God Bless America!

Music of the Moment: "Last Day Sunday" by Bracket
P.S. Thanks to Cielo for pointing out that there actually is a spell-checker for these blogs. I still claim no responsibility for any bushisms or otherwise that worm their way into this journal.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulously put, Ryan. I couldn't have described Bush's behavior better myself.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home