Monday, October 04, 2004

Kicking my addiction

Tomorrow morning I take my final Sporanox caplet. Over six months ago (March 15, 2004), I had a PIC line (think permanent IV) removed from my right arm following my hospitalization and outpatient IV treatment. I switched to a killing dose of oral Sporanox to battle any remaining histo, and then I backed down to a maintenance dose to keep it from returning. There is no more Sporanox after breakfast tomorrow. I should be happy. In a way I am proud to be taking the next step, but I'm more scared than anything else. I am comforted by the pink and purple tablets that I consume twice daily, because for 6 months they have proven that they work successfully to ward off histo. Without them, I am entering uncharted territory and it's frightening. The people who care about me would be devastated if I fell gravely ill again, and I don't know how we could all handle it mentally. Once was already too much -- we still have nightmares about my hospital days. Psychological dependence is real. Sporanox is my comfort blanket and I don't want to give it up. Please keep your fingers crossed.

I had initially planned to write something funny today about Elton John, who cursed out Madonna at a British awards show when he was told she had been nominated for Best Live Act:
"Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay 75 pounds ($134) to see them should be shot," John said in reference to ticket prices for Madonna's Reinvention tour. He ended his outburst by saying: "That's me off her f---ing Christmas card list but do I give a toss? No."


However, I just encountered something much funnier: workers repairing a Maryland home damaged by the remnants of Hurricane Ivan found a massive cache of child pornography! The videotapes, photographs, and computer discs filled 24 boxes!
"It was the largest seizure of child pornography I've ever seen," State Attorney Scott Rolle said. "We had to bring in a pickup truck to get all of it out of there."

I've only got one word to describe that: SICK.

Music of the Moment: "Down With the Ship," by Duane Peters and the Hunns

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home