Foreign Finn
Let's be honest: most of my posts are boring. I know most of you check this site every coupla days just to see if I'm spouting off on another political rant or two. I blame this lackluster nature of my journal of late on the rather mundane tasks which I've been undertaking recently. While going through envelopes chock full of old credit card receipts from 4 years of college is important, it definitely makes for unenjoyable writing. If you want to hear about an exciting, exotic summer, head on over to http://foreignfinn.blogspot.com/. My former roomie's journal is wonderful!
Boringness aside, I attended a lab picnic in Memorial Park yesterday evening. It was pretty fun (with amazing food), but there were clearly two distinct groups of people there who didn't know each other very well. There was virtually no intergroup mingling, so when my people left, I left too.
I have a quick (3-day) work week, as I'm heading up to Washington, DC for the 4th of July! Jordana and I are getting a self-guided White House tour, although I'll believe it when I'm actually walking through the door (with the history of my journal and it's partisan leanings, I'll be surprised if the Secret Service doesn't tear me a new one when I show up at the doorstep of La Casa Blanca).
To satisfy your political appetites, I'll quickly point out the latest anti-Bush thoughts that have been crossing my mind. As I'm sure you know, Cheney recently went on Larry King Live and said that the Iraqi insurgency was "in its last throes." Since he made that statement, the ranking general in charge of the region flat-out admitted during a Senate hearing that he was openly contradicting the vice president, and in his opinion, the insurgency had only strengthed in the past 6 months. Also, Don Rumsfeld was quoted several days ago as saying that we can safely expect the insurgency to last another "2, 5, 6, 8, 10, or 12 years." That is classic Rumsfeldian gibberish, capturing such a large and non-specific time frame that the administration looks heroic if the insurgency is toppled in a mere two years, but can still wag the "we told you so" finger if (read: when) the insurgency is still killing soldiers a decade from now. At least the recent comments from within the administration have become contradictory and heated, which clearly suggests that the insiders are feeling their feet up against the flames. Let 'em burn.
Music of the Moment: "Big City Nights" by Scorpions
Boringness aside, I attended a lab picnic in Memorial Park yesterday evening. It was pretty fun (with amazing food), but there were clearly two distinct groups of people there who didn't know each other very well. There was virtually no intergroup mingling, so when my people left, I left too.
I have a quick (3-day) work week, as I'm heading up to Washington, DC for the 4th of July! Jordana and I are getting a self-guided White House tour, although I'll believe it when I'm actually walking through the door (with the history of my journal and it's partisan leanings, I'll be surprised if the Secret Service doesn't tear me a new one when I show up at the doorstep of La Casa Blanca).
To satisfy your political appetites, I'll quickly point out the latest anti-Bush thoughts that have been crossing my mind. As I'm sure you know, Cheney recently went on Larry King Live and said that the Iraqi insurgency was "in its last throes." Since he made that statement, the ranking general in charge of the region flat-out admitted during a Senate hearing that he was openly contradicting the vice president, and in his opinion, the insurgency had only strengthed in the past 6 months. Also, Don Rumsfeld was quoted several days ago as saying that we can safely expect the insurgency to last another "2, 5, 6, 8, 10, or 12 years." That is classic Rumsfeldian gibberish, capturing such a large and non-specific time frame that the administration looks heroic if the insurgency is toppled in a mere two years, but can still wag the "we told you so" finger if (read: when) the insurgency is still killing soldiers a decade from now. At least the recent comments from within the administration have become contradictory and heated, which clearly suggests that the insiders are feeling their feet up against the flames. Let 'em burn.
Music of the Moment: "Big City Nights" by Scorpions

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home