Wet Kung Pao in a Banana Hammock Office
Crazy blog title, I know, but it pretty much sums up my day. After putting some polishing touches on the Methods section of my manuscript, I emailed it to my bosses this morning. I fought with CVS for about 20 minutes in an unsuccessful attempt to straighten out insurance issues in order to obtain prescriptions that were owed to me last week. I got to work and my bosses both had comments waiting for me regarding the Methods section. I tried to find a quiet haven to which I could retreat with my laptop, but the building housing our conference room was without air conditioning for the day. That's a no-no in Houston during July. Fortunately, a professor realized my plight and kindly opened up a recently vacated office for my personal use. It was spacious, air conditioned, and had a really nice desk and office chair. I felt very important sitting there with my laptop. pleasantly typing away the afternoon.
The heavens opened (again) in the middle of the afternoon, sending nearly 3 inches of rain down upon us. I trudged to the parking lot in the rain and found at least 2 feet of water covering my route home on Greenbrier near the Roberts Elementary School (for those of you who know Houston). I cautiously maneuvered my Nissan Altima through the flood, and was fortunate to not have stalled. This was perhaps the only time since moving to Houston that I've been envious of SUVs and pick-up trucks! More rain is in the forecast for the next 5 days, and then Hurricane Emily might be striking Texas. With the ground already beyond saturated, I will be praying for a respite next week in hopes of avoiding another Tropical Storm Alison-like disaster.
I finally defeated CVS and the insurance company in the late afternoon, and obtained my prescriptions (after paying $30 this morning to buy 3 days' worth of medicine out-of-pocket). Fortunately, the money was refunded.
Kraig and Kevin met me at Kroger and we bought all the ingredients to make Kung Pao Chicken and Egg Drop Soup. We crowded into my tiny kitchen and cooked up a mighty good meal. With the heavens still pouring forth rain, we donned our tennis attire and headed out for the courts. No Houston thunderstorm was going to throw us from our champion-esque tennis schedule! For the next 1.5 hours, we merrily played tennis in the midst of a thunderstorm, no doubt drawing confused looks from the other residents. We were soaked and the ball was skidding through the puddles rather than bouncing, but we all had a blast. It's been a while since I ran around carefree in the rain, and I quite enjoyed myself. In fact, I'd rather be soaked with rain water than with sweat, as is the tennis gold standard this summer!
Finally, I received the following picture via email. It depicts what appears to be a protestor in front of the White House, taken this very afternoon. This monstrously tall man holds a "Fire Karl" sign, and for some reason that I cannot figure out, he is wearing nothing but a flesh-colored "banana hammock." As if this image weren't puzzling enough, I direct your attention to the smoking hot chick standing by his side: yes, that is Jordana Mosten! On a day when I thought I had done and seen everything, I hope I can now say that my day is complete!
The heavens opened (again) in the middle of the afternoon, sending nearly 3 inches of rain down upon us. I trudged to the parking lot in the rain and found at least 2 feet of water covering my route home on Greenbrier near the Roberts Elementary School (for those of you who know Houston). I cautiously maneuvered my Nissan Altima through the flood, and was fortunate to not have stalled. This was perhaps the only time since moving to Houston that I've been envious of SUVs and pick-up trucks! More rain is in the forecast for the next 5 days, and then Hurricane Emily might be striking Texas. With the ground already beyond saturated, I will be praying for a respite next week in hopes of avoiding another Tropical Storm Alison-like disaster.
I finally defeated CVS and the insurance company in the late afternoon, and obtained my prescriptions (after paying $30 this morning to buy 3 days' worth of medicine out-of-pocket). Fortunately, the money was refunded.
Kraig and Kevin met me at Kroger and we bought all the ingredients to make Kung Pao Chicken and Egg Drop Soup. We crowded into my tiny kitchen and cooked up a mighty good meal. With the heavens still pouring forth rain, we donned our tennis attire and headed out for the courts. No Houston thunderstorm was going to throw us from our champion-esque tennis schedule! For the next 1.5 hours, we merrily played tennis in the midst of a thunderstorm, no doubt drawing confused looks from the other residents. We were soaked and the ball was skidding through the puddles rather than bouncing, but we all had a blast. It's been a while since I ran around carefree in the rain, and I quite enjoyed myself. In fact, I'd rather be soaked with rain water than with sweat, as is the tennis gold standard this summer!
Finally, I received the following picture via email. It depicts what appears to be a protestor in front of the White House, taken this very afternoon. This monstrously tall man holds a "Fire Karl" sign, and for some reason that I cannot figure out, he is wearing nothing but a flesh-colored "banana hammock." As if this image weren't puzzling enough, I direct your attention to the smoking hot chick standing by his side: yes, that is Jordana Mosten! On a day when I thought I had done and seen everything, I hope I can now say that my day is complete!

2 Comments:
What a wacky photo! That guys looks kind of nuts...
As far as the shutdown thing you commented on, tell your colleague that there is a way to turn it off--you must visit "control panel" and then "automatic updates." Choose "turn off all updates." Windows will yell at you, but it's worth it to actually be able to run software without being shut down. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the Windows tip. That's actually what we did at the time, but it was too late to save his program.
Post a Comment
<< Home