It's A Smile, It's A Kiss, It's A Sip Of Wine...
... it's SUMMERTIME! I got news for ya, Kenny Chesney: summertime ended yesterday. From Vegas to Champlain to Intercourse, my one-month summer holiday was thoroughly kick ass. JMo and I had a terrific vacation filled with swimming, water skiing, coal-powered train riding, Amish photographing, water ice and cheesesteak and hoagie and pizza eating, Noorain hosting, Penn State visiting, drinking, and chillaxing. It was probably my most fun-filled, fulfilling, and enjoyable vacation ever. Perhaps the reason for this had something to do with my lack of summer employment. I could get used to actually vacationing on my summer breaks in the future... too bad this was my last summer break ever!
Yesterday, I resumed my medical training. They really eased us in -- I was only at school for a mere 8 hours! I have my first exam a week from today, when I have to sit one-on-one for 60 minutes with a standardized patient and conduct a complete history and head-to-toe physical exam. Not sure why we have to do this, considering that I did just this back in June. I guess they figured we had so much fun that we must be itching to do it again. Go us!
The first-year med students also started school yesterday, and as per tradition, we second-years nailed them with the annual class prank. Each year, the MS-2 students create a prank to hand out to the nervous and anxious MS-1 students on their first day. Generally, the prank involves a handout claiming to require some outlandish exam or the like. The prank invariably involves a sign-up sheet at the front of the room -- and since the first-years are too scared and nervous to know better -- they all form a gigantic line that wraps all around the room as they attempt to "sign up" for the bogus requirement. Meanwhile, a member of the MS-2 class gleefully videotapes the entire situation. Here is the text of a planning stage email that circulated amongst the MS-2 class a few days before the start of school:
Have the students sign up for various clinical trials (examples below)... the way it will be set up is that there will be a cover page with an intro to Baylor with some blurb about committment to community service and research and how they are REQUIRED to participate in one of these studies or volunteer to be a standardized patient for a Digital Rectal Exam instead if they don't want to do experimental trials. Then they will all line up at the board to sign up for the trials and we videotape and we laugh.
I need a volunteer to use a video camera to tape the MS-1s. Also, I need people to help write the descriptions of the studies... some people have already signed up.
Clinical Trials - the descriptions should be about one short paragraph (150-200 words) -- I need them by Sunday morning (please make them believable but somewhat extreme in their nature)
Experimental HIV Vaccine
Biodegradable Speculum
Norwalk Diarrhea (hospitalized and collect stool)
Special diet w/ stool and urine collection
Testicular Imaging w/ a mammogram machine
Male birth control study (need to collect 3 sperm samples/day, abstinence for 3 months, etc)
Help on Monday morning (meet at 7:15AM to set up cameras and sign-in sheets and videotape)
PS -- a second prank is being arranged so that the first anatomy dissection will involve two bodies and the first one will actually be a live body that starts moving while Cassius and Greg are talking... :)
REMEMBER --- SECRECY IS KEY!!! :)
Good stuff! I heard the prank was a smashing success.
Here's a special shout-out to JMo, who is currently en route from Tokyo to Fukui City!
Yesterday, I resumed my medical training. They really eased us in -- I was only at school for a mere 8 hours! I have my first exam a week from today, when I have to sit one-on-one for 60 minutes with a standardized patient and conduct a complete history and head-to-toe physical exam. Not sure why we have to do this, considering that I did just this back in June. I guess they figured we had so much fun that we must be itching to do it again. Go us!
The first-year med students also started school yesterday, and as per tradition, we second-years nailed them with the annual class prank. Each year, the MS-2 students create a prank to hand out to the nervous and anxious MS-1 students on their first day. Generally, the prank involves a handout claiming to require some outlandish exam or the like. The prank invariably involves a sign-up sheet at the front of the room -- and since the first-years are too scared and nervous to know better -- they all form a gigantic line that wraps all around the room as they attempt to "sign up" for the bogus requirement. Meanwhile, a member of the MS-2 class gleefully videotapes the entire situation. Here is the text of a planning stage email that circulated amongst the MS-2 class a few days before the start of school:
Have the students sign up for various clinical trials (examples below)... the way it will be set up is that there will be a cover page with an intro to Baylor with some blurb about committment to community service and research and how they are REQUIRED to participate in one of these studies or volunteer to be a standardized patient for a Digital Rectal Exam instead if they don't want to do experimental trials. Then they will all line up at the board to sign up for the trials and we videotape and we laugh.
I need a volunteer to use a video camera to tape the MS-1s. Also, I need people to help write the descriptions of the studies... some people have already signed up.
Clinical Trials - the descriptions should be about one short paragraph (150-200 words) -- I need them by Sunday morning (please make them believable but somewhat extreme in their nature)
Experimental HIV Vaccine
Biodegradable Speculum
Norwalk Diarrhea (hospitalized and collect stool)
Special diet w/ stool and urine collection
Testicular Imaging w/ a mammogram machine
Male birth control study (need to collect 3 sperm samples/day, abstinence for 3 months, etc)
Help on Monday morning (meet at 7:15AM to set up cameras and sign-in sheets and videotape)
PS -- a second prank is being arranged so that the first anatomy dissection will involve two bodies and the first one will actually be a live body that starts moving while Cassius and Greg are talking... :)
REMEMBER --- SECRECY IS KEY!!! :)
Good stuff! I heard the prank was a smashing success.
Here's a special shout-out to JMo, who is currently en route from Tokyo to Fukui City!

1 Comments:
July was amazing. It was my best summer ever and I never have a job :)
Which catagory on the prank was the most popular?
Post a Comment
<< Home