Saturday, October 29, 2005

Swallowed

When I started telling friends that medical school would reduce my journal to the occassional post every six weeks (during the mini vacations between blocks), I was joking. Unfortunately, this jest has bordered on the truth. I apologize for my lack of posts and will attempt to do better. At this pace, I suppose that any improvement -- no matter how small -- in my posting regularity will be beneficial to my readership.

So what have I been up to? In terms of school, I've been busy. We just completed our "CRR" block: Cardiovascular, Respiratory, and Renal. This block was only 5 weeks in length, apparently condensed (in length, not in material) from the standard 6 weeks. However, we lost an additional 4 days due to Hurricane Rita. Thus, 6 weeks' worth of material was presented in 4 weeks. Suffice it to say that I (and everyone else) struggled to grasp this dense material in such a compressed period of time. Our exams were much more difficult than the Block 1 exams, and I think our grades will reflect that fact. I've learned how to perform cardiovascular and respiratory exams on real patients. In theory, I can check your blood pressure, listen for heart murmurs, examine the pressure in your jugular (neck) veins, check for blood clots and swelling, and auscultate (listen to) and percuss (tap on) both lungs. In reality, I desperately need to practice these skills on people other than myself and Jordana. Any brave volunteers?

In the world of the gridiron, my Philadelphia Eagles are holding their own with a 4-2 record despite quaterback Donovan McNabb's nagging sports hernia, which will require surgery at the end of the season. I'm excited about Sunday's match-up versus the Denver Broncos. My college roommate is from Denver, and I know his mother will be rooting against my team this week. Hopefully it will be a good game (with an Eagles victory, of course)! Rice, meanwhile, suffered its NCAA Division I leading 12th straight loss last weekend. I'm disappointed that my exam studying kept me from attending this make-up game versus Navy, as my aforementioned roomie's brother is a midshipman at the Academy and was in town for the game. I'm glad that they were able to enjoy such a throttling at the hands of Ken Hatfield. This horrible excuse for a coach needs to be fired. If you don't believe me, check out www.firekenhatfield.com. It's hilarious. I will be in attendance at the Rice-Tulane game (I think it might be the homecoming game as well). Since Baylor College of Medicine is the home for Tulane School of Medicine through June 2006, Baylor has decided to give free tickets to everyone for the Rice-Tulane game. We'll also be sitting in a special section behind one of the end zones, with free drinks and food throughout the game!

During my mini vacation this week, I was fortunate enough to enjoy several afternoons and evenings of entertainment. Jordana and I went to the Angelika matinee on Wednesday. We were the only two people in the theater when the previews began, but some creepy old guy came in and spoiled our private viewing. Nevertheless, we enjoyed the movie. It was about the civil war in El Salvador in the 1980s, focusing on the life of an 11 year-old boy in a remote village caught in the crossfire between guerillas and the army. The army was impressing all 12 year-old boys into service, so these were trying times for pre-pubescent boys, especially 11 year-olds. This movie was the classic doom-and-gloom "plight of the people" style movie that we were forced to watch for Rice Spanish classes. I never would have imagined that I'd one day pay $6 to subject myself to such depression, but what do you know...

On Thursday night, I had the pleasure of seeing the splendid musical Wicked at the Hobby Center. Jordana amazingly scored us tickets to this highly sought-after (and now sold out) show. The music was terrific and the story was clever; it presents a new take on the Wizard of Oz from the perspective of the Wicked Witch of the West (who was actually a scapegoated animal lover -- who knew?). Anyway, I'd recommend this show if you ever have a chance to see it.

Recent political develops have me cautiously optimistic. In the Bush administration's worst week ever, indictments are flying all over the place and the death toll just continues to climb out of control in Iraq. Finally, Americans seem to be "getting it:" a poll this week found that Bush would handily lose an election if it were held right now. Unfortunately, the only election in the near future promises to ban gay marriage in Texas via a constitutional amendment. This horrible amendment has inspired me to attend church for the first time in several years. That's right, Jordana and I are going to Lakewood Church for tomorrow's service to hand out fliers opposing Proposition 2. I say if you're going to catch a church service after a long hiatus, what better way to start than at the largest church in the country? Pray for me.

Music of the Moment: "All These Things That I've Done" by the Killers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home