Saturday, August 13, 2005

My Poor Journal

This website is definitely taking a hit now that I'm 2 weeks into medical school. If there were 40 hours in the day, I'd be able to keep this thing up to date without worry. Unfortunately, I've been a bit overwhelmed by the magnitude of course work and studying that comes along with the job title of "student doctor." For instance, let me illustrate the sheer volume and precarious nature of my current work. We have 4 lectures per day, plus 2 labs per week and 2 afternoon group sessions per week. On the days when I get home at 5:00 PM, it's 7:30 by the time I've eaten dinner and begun studying. I have to get to bed by 11:30 in order remain functional the next day, so there's no way I can properly digest and memorize 4 lectures' worth of material. If you miss a single day of studying, you are suddenly 4 lectures behind. If you miss 2 days, you are 8 lectures behind. There is absolutely no margin for departure from your study schedule. Of course, life is never this structured. For instance, my parents are here this weekend because last night was my White Coat Ceremony. Consequently, I am currently 9 lectures behind with our first midterm looming a week from Monday. This life is a bit difficult to adjust to...

Speaking of the White Cot Ceremony -- it was cool. We received our short white coats, name tags, and Baylor College of Medicine patches. The second year students helped us don our coats for the first time, and there was an inspiring surgeon who delivered the White Coat Address. This morning was Family Day, so we were at Baylor by 8:30 AM for breakfast, anatomy demonstrations, etc. Tonight we hope to watch that penguin documentary ("March of the Penguin," I think). Thus, tomorrow is going to be one busy-as-hell day!

In other news, there is huge trouble in the Eagles' football organization. Terrell Owens was thrown out of training camp in the midst of his contract dispute after engaging in a heated argument with the head coach. T.O. has been blasting QB Donovan McNabb in the media, and the two won't speak to each other anymore. I know that we're winning the Super Bowl this year, but I don't like the ominous way in which we're kicking off the seaon. I hate prima donnas.

Music of the Moment: "Donut Man" by the Dickies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home