One Day Down...
... and 2919 days (8 years) to go until I am finished with school! I really liked my first day of medical school. Classes were briskly paced, but half the material was straight review from Biochemistry and Cell Biology at Rice. Unfortunately, this half was taught by a professor with a thick Eastern European accent, but she was still understandable. Anatomy was introduced by a professor by the name of Cassius Bordelon, who emphatically told us to call him "Cassius" in the lab and hilariously implored us to wear our ID badges on our chests (the "hip" place is on the pants pocket) so that he doesn't have to stare at our crotches when looking for our names! He told us that all cadavers have been willed to Baylor, so none of us will be working with "unwanted" bodies.
The second half of class was taught by an ophthalmologist (also wanting to be called by his first name -- Frank) who flew into Houston overnight from Hawaii (I'm guessing he wanted to extend his summer vacation to the last possible hour). He landed at 6:30 AM and taught the 10:00 AM lecture. Despite his circumstances, he gave a passionate lecture that was quite humorous at times. I especially enjoyed watching him enter the room, shake hands with Cassius, and exclaim "29 years, Cassius. Great to see you." This comment was in reference to the number of consecutive years that Frank and Cassius have been teaching Basic Sciences to first year medical students at Baylor. They seem to have such a history and repore together, and their simple handshake demonstrated to all us students that these guys love what they do and love teaching together. The passion was quite tangible -- it was evident that their tradition evey year is to shake hands and call out their number of years as colleagues. Frank also happens to be from UCLA, which makes him extra cool. The first thing he did was call out the name of a student from the class roster -- the only student who attended UCLA for undergrad. He asked her if she knew of the architect I.M. Pei, and she did not. He then gave her a research assignment on the spot in front of the entire class, and tomorrow she'll present us with an abridged history of I.M. Pei. (Pei relates to medicine because his architectural ideals are something along the lines of maximal efficiency and function for each structure, which is just like the human body).
I studied for about 4 hours tonight, and went to Target to buy 2-inch binders (the 1.5 inchers just weren't thick enough -- eek!). I am now 22 minutes past my bedtime, so I will surrender here.
The photo: W. speaking to the Boyscout Jamboree in Virginia. Somehow this reminded me of the Hitler Youth... Very fitting that today he confirmed Bolton for the U.N. in a rare appointment outside of congressional session, meaning that Bolton will evade the confirmation process. Reminds me of another dictator from the annals of history...

The second half of class was taught by an ophthalmologist (also wanting to be called by his first name -- Frank) who flew into Houston overnight from Hawaii (I'm guessing he wanted to extend his summer vacation to the last possible hour). He landed at 6:30 AM and taught the 10:00 AM lecture. Despite his circumstances, he gave a passionate lecture that was quite humorous at times. I especially enjoyed watching him enter the room, shake hands with Cassius, and exclaim "29 years, Cassius. Great to see you." This comment was in reference to the number of consecutive years that Frank and Cassius have been teaching Basic Sciences to first year medical students at Baylor. They seem to have such a history and repore together, and their simple handshake demonstrated to all us students that these guys love what they do and love teaching together. The passion was quite tangible -- it was evident that their tradition evey year is to shake hands and call out their number of years as colleagues. Frank also happens to be from UCLA, which makes him extra cool. The first thing he did was call out the name of a student from the class roster -- the only student who attended UCLA for undergrad. He asked her if she knew of the architect I.M. Pei, and she did not. He then gave her a research assignment on the spot in front of the entire class, and tomorrow she'll present us with an abridged history of I.M. Pei. (Pei relates to medicine because his architectural ideals are something along the lines of maximal efficiency and function for each structure, which is just like the human body).
I studied for about 4 hours tonight, and went to Target to buy 2-inch binders (the 1.5 inchers just weren't thick enough -- eek!). I am now 22 minutes past my bedtime, so I will surrender here.
The photo: W. speaking to the Boyscout Jamboree in Virginia. Somehow this reminded me of the Hitler Youth... Very fitting that today he confirmed Bolton for the U.N. in a rare appointment outside of congressional session, meaning that Bolton will evade the confirmation process. Reminds me of another dictator from the annals of history...

Music of the Moment: "Where You Get Love" by Matthew Sweet

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home