Monday, August 08, 2005

He'll Go Down In History

The greatest newscaster of our time has passed away at the age of 67. Peter Jennings succumbed to his recently-diagnosed lung cancer, and World New Tonight with Peter Jennings will never be the same. I grew up on Peter Jennings exclusively, never watching the other (much inferior) national broadcasts. Peter represented the highest standards of journalistic integrity, professionalism, and put on one hell of a high quality newscast. News is dominated by so much shit these days, but Peter told us what was important, took away the political goggles and filter, and made 5:30 PM one of the best parts of my day. His special coverages -- election nights, news magazines, Saddam interviews -- were always fascinating and exclusive. I am going to miss Peter terribly, and I'm so glad to have attended his event at the Baker Institute while at Rice. May he rest in peace.

I've got my fingers crossed for the Discovery re-entry tomorrow morning. I hope for the sake of scientific discovery and future space exploration that these astronauts make it home unscathed. The last thing our country needs is another scientific setback on top of the recent attacks on evolution, stem cells, global warming, and energy policy.

Finally, I'd like to wish Gareth a safe trip back to the U.S. I know you're going to miss Finland, but we miss you here, too!

For anyone interested in the latest med school happenings: it's interesting, exciting, and extremely time consuming!

Music of the Moment: "Red Letter Day" by Inspection 12

1 Comments:

Blogger Gareth said...

Hey man! Thanks for the best wishes, you're absolutely right--I'll miss this place, but I am looking forward to coming home. I'm ready to be back in familiar surroundings again, and I can't wait to see you soon!

Also, nice piece about Peter... he was the best of the best...and we'll all miss him.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home